25 January 2006

Listening to Nanci Griffith sing 'It's a hard Life' I came across this quote at www.jengray.com

I don't know who Martha Beck is--and can't say for sure if I've ever met my inner bitch before--but I suppose she could come in handy now and again--(as could one's inner bastard I suppose:)

"Whenever you feel shame, consider it a signal to
act forcefully—not by beating yourself up,
but by siccing your inner bitch on the shame itself.
So you've made mistakes? "Big, fat, hairy deal,"
your inner bitch will say. Learn from your errors and
do better next time. Afraid you'll fail and look stupid?
Your inner bitch doesn't give a
damn how you look; she'd rather try and fail
than not try at all. Let your bitchiest side
attack your shame, actively and aggressively,
until you are certain that no choice you make
is based on either the fear of being shamed or
the intent to shame anyone else.

One thing's for sure: If any woman unleashes her creativity,
her world will split open. She'll find unprecedented ways of
solving problems, bridging gaps, and expressing her soul,
and her corner of the world will be irrevocably changed.
I'm not sure what the changes will be, but I know the words
I'd use to describe them: Bitchin', baby. Bitchin'. " martha beck

No comments: