27 January 2006

We have a lousy western tradition of humbling ourselves before God, whining about our unworthiness, sins and trangressions. Even before we make our first mistake, we are saddled with original sin. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

When we have children, do we like them to hang their heads and tell us what sorry pathetic excuses for human beings they are? Or do we want them to stand confident? When they stumble in life, do we want them to feel like shameful failures, or do we want them to learn and move ahead, stronger and more creative and resilient for the challenges? Do we want them to grovel at our feet, or do we want them to shine their light?

Then why would we think God enjoys our guilt and groveling? We invent such limited deities.

I’d like to shine with whatever light is in me, and I’d like you to too. I’d like to be happy, and I’d like you to be too. (Hey--my life would be more fun if you were happy and full of yourself rather than humble and small.) The difficulties and pain of life are hard enough to juggle without throwing shame into the mix. When we diminish ourselves, we diminish the utter beauty and elegance of this strange existence. We are here for our moments and we are each great fascinating works placed on difficult paths. Do your best with the game piece you were given and enjoy the game.

I’ll try to do the same.

No comments: