07 September 2006

Applied Materials Inc. says it is jumping into a new market--building equipment for making photovoltaic panels that turn sunlight into electricity.

Applied, the world’s largest maker of semiconductor-manufacturing equipment, says it will adapt its knowledge from making very advanced gear for processing silicon wafers and flat-panel displays into new equipment for making solar panels.

“We plan to change the cost equation for solar power through the adaptation of our existing technology and through new innovation in order to help make solar a more meaningful contributer to the global energy supply,” CEO Mike Splinter said...

Applied will show off some of its technology in Dresden, Germany, this week at the world’s largest solar show, the European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference...

Kirk Ladendorf
Austin American-Statesman
Tuesday, September 5, 2006

3 comments:

linda said...

Hi, George-
since everything in here gets processed through the limited computer of my brain-it’s still nativearthling.

I’m interested--but untrained--in the physics of light, in the relationship between physical light and what we perceive as spiritual light. I’m sharing my exploration.

Thanks for writing, George. My first comment! I’m honored.

Anonymous said...

Its G again. I assumed I had to create a blogger account, so I did. I'll bet a lot of people assume that and are reticent to do so.

However! SEE? One can just click Post a Comment and type away. No hassles. I am a little chagrined to interrupt your musings. You don't ask questions, rhetorical or otherwise, so, somewhat like what like watching an unaware child at play, we are content with mute observation.

Excuse me. Please carry on.

linda said...

Ha!
Thanks again--