13 October 2006

The old microwave took about three minutes to bring a cup of water to boil.

I heated water--was it to make coffee for my sister? We were distracted, and I didn't take the cup out right away. So, when I returned to the microwave, I figured it had cooled some. I'd bring it back to boiling. Without opening the door to check, I turned the switch and watched through the tinted window. 15 seconds passed, 30. The surface of the water was smooth as glass. A minute. A minute and a half. Two minutes. I knew something was unusual. The water had not cooled that long, and here it was nearly 3 more minutes, and it was not boiling, not even rippling.

I turned it off. I opened the door and as I reached in, I changed my mind and stepped back.

The water erupted into boiling fury, shooting and spitting everywhere. Only half the water remained in the cup.

Smooth surfaces can be deceptive.

No comments: