05 August 2007

On the way to visit a friend in Cheyenne, I saw a pasture of camels. I passed a field of sunflowers, all nodding their heads east.

After supper last night back in Fort Collins, I went for a walk. Perhaps I'd end up in town. As soon as I stepped into the parking lot and looked around, though, I knew I wanted to head toward the mountains. I walked to the street called Horsetooth and aimed west. The mountain ahead, so oddly shaped, it looked like-oh! a horsetooth-ha! Constant traffic eased as the street continued into a quieter neighborhood. Where I thought the street dead ended, it actually connected to a trail in a nature preserve.

The winding path through a prairie nestled in foothills, the air so fresh, the sweet language of birds I did not recognize, the exited sun still turning clouds pink, puddles reflecting sky, the dry rattle of tall trees, such a gentle sound, the comfort of the rustle of prairie grasses. Wildflower shrubs covered with great white daisy-like blooms. Three nighthawks veering about me. One whinny from an unseen horse. Such largeness.

And standing on the trail, gazing out over the grasses at the foot of the Rockies, I knew what I want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about which way to walk.

Sometimes when I need to quiet my mind to embrace sleep, I imagine I open the back door, walk down the steps, to 44th, turn West, walk to Speedway, to Ave D,...,to Lamar, to Burnet, to Camp Mabry, west, west, west, the road is now deserted. There is a barbed wire fence to my right, beyond to the northwest are hills,.. that give way to buttes, to mountains.
I never reach the mountains; I reach sleep first... always.

linda said...

There's a sense of both the solitary and the universal in that-
thanks, George.