02 November 2007





I simply believe that there's a very organic, immeasureable consciousness of which we're a part...I believe this consciousness is so unimaginably calibrated in its sensitivity that not one leaf falls in the deepest of forests on the darkest of nights unnoticed.

Now, given the immensity of this immeasureable power that I'm talking about, and given its pervasiveness through the universe (extending from distant galaxies to the tip of my nose), I choose not to engage in what I consider to be the useless effort of giving it a name, and by naming it, suggesting that I in any way understand it, though I'm enriched by the language and imagery of traditional Christianity and old island culture. Many of my fellow human beings do give it a name, and do purport to understand it in a more precise way than I would ever attempt. I just give it respect, and I think of it as living in me as well as everywhere else.

The grand consciousness I perceive allows me great breadth and scope of choices...This means that the responsibility for me rests with me...

Sidney Poitier
The Measure of a Man: A spiritual autobiography

No comments: