03 March 2006

Correction:

OK. So much for romanticizing the plight of the suburban deer. As I walked today right at sunset, I made a point of noticing where those deer might go.

The neighborhood lies on the lip of a canyon. Those damn deer have miles of territory to wander.

Also I note now that spring has set in and the redbuds are in bloom, there are new grasses pushing up and fresh leaves on wild shrubs. The greenbelt is not ‘depleted’. Perhaps the deer--I saw another group exiting as I approached--come by because of the folks who toss corn from their apartment balcony.

I’d always assumed deer lived in this little greenbelt. I’m beginning to see they are wanderers.

I need to remember to think instead of react. But I can learn from errors too. If the deer have so many more options than I first noted, neither are we humans trapped in cubicles. We make our choices.

I keep forgetting that.

No comments: