28 March 2006

Strange new world. I took on a temporary job because the work was concrete task-oriented. It would permit me to be among coworkers with minimal caretaking of people--something new for me.

Guess who is already supervising a team of 6 mostly men past middle-age doing work she herself has yet to perform? How did I get immersed so fast. Longer hours with the new responsibilities--and it took 1 hr 20 mins to get home yesterday evening because of traffic. It's hard not to be intimidated this morning: it's lightning and pouring outside. This journey has its amusing twists.

The people, though, seem good-hearted and intelligent, if rather preoccupied. I suspect I’m not the only one asking, how did I get here?

I already see I can’t leave my heart in a box up in the closet as I’d planned. Meanwhile, I am learning of the physics of the pendulum, the force of gravity and the intrusion of friction, the sexuality of seahorses and oysters, the locomotion of single-celled organisms.

No comments: