18 March 2006

This isn’t limbo. The rain is pretty dripping from the roof, the bird feeder swaying, marking the gentle irregular passage of time. The cell phone is still haywire, despite a couple hours spent Thursday with customer service, listening to ads with a backgound Shaft-like digital beat. Amazon.com seems to think I owe them something a customer representative wrote a month ago to throw away. Their software rejects my careful explanation. No two professionals have even close to similar stories about how COBRA works. I have eight books by the bed, one not even started for CEUs, one I first read in high school, the rest all in progress. My sock monkey’s eyes are permanently skeptical, gazing at me with woven empathy. Nothing fits together--it’s why I put down one book and pick up another. Is this the one? Nothing is fixed. The rain is so pretty. No, this isn’t limbo. I am waiting for nothing. This is life. I am here.

No comments: