27 April 2006

As I was leaving work, they all called out at once, “Bye, Mom!” The boys on the team--all still at their computers pulling overtime. One added, “Be careful on the road, Mom.”

I was touched.

They knew I was heading out for a bit of a drive for the high school band banquet for the younger son. (At the same creekside place, lush with trees, where the athletic banquet for the older son.was held some three years ago.)

From which I just got back. It was lovely. Mild, sweet air, twinkling white lights, slow-turning fans, wood floors. Dusk. A lot of heartfelt moments and genuine affection among the parents, directors, and band members. Kids took to the dance floor after the awards and banquet were done. I was out in the dark about to take off and caught a glimpse through the lighted window of my son and his friend experimenting with dance, he is his dark collared shirt and she in a backless spring dress and in their tentative movement, it was like seeing something from the 40s, something old and familiar and new again.

No comments: