04 April 2006

The healthiest thing I did some three and a half years ago was to pick up yoga again after a quarter century hiatus.

When I started this new job some weeks back, the speaker asked that each of us introduce ourselves. It was a large group.

I did something new. Instead of hiding behind a rushed, bare minimum statement, I actually shared something important to me. In addition to what universities have you attended and what kinds of work have you done, I said that I write and do yoga.

I said it just to be frank, but it paid off in unexpected ways. Two women approached me about creating lunch hour sessions. This has created a connection with my new coworkers. Other people have used the yoga as ice breakers for starting conversation.

And doing 15 minutes of sun salutations, cat and cow and meditation before lunch this past week has released tension and fear like air out of a balloon. I didn’t think I was interested in a semi-public experience around people who are not participating. I am grateful to the other women for taking the initiative, getting permission to use the space, and just doing it.

And I’m glad I spoke up that first day. To find people who are like you, you have to let them know you are there.

No comments: