13 April 2006

You, Bedouin of Libya who saved our lives, though you will dwell forever in my memory yet I shall never be able to recapture your features. You are Humanity and your face comes into my mind simply as man incarnate. You, our beloved fellowman, did not know who we might be, and yet you recognized us without fail. And I, in my turn, shall recognize you in the faces of all mankind. You came towards me in an aureole of charity and magnanimity bearing the gift of water. All my friends and all my enemies marched toward me in your person. It did not seem to me that you were rescuing me: rather did it seem that you were forgiving me. And I felt I had no enemy left in all the world.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Wind, Sand and Stars

When another recognizes you, that recognition draws the dimension of Being more fully into this world through the both of you. That is the love that redeems the world…it equally applies, of course, to all relationships.

Eckhart Tolle
A New Earth

No comments: