24 May 2006

It was a place of transition from the very beginning. Even so, the end of the project is not easy. People with whom you’ve spent intense hours, intense weeks, now retreat in anticipation of separation. Familiar faces now contained. My team was grafted to another team today, an anti-climax to our passionate partnership.

So many comedies and dramas, acted in 9 weeks on the small stage of the workspace, drawing to a close. The stage crew coming Friday to remove the props, the computers, the tables and chairs.

I met at least one person, some 20 years past a drama similar to my own, with roots not far from my own place of birth. He gave me hope. And others seemed to find some clues in me regarding negotiating their own existence. People who have congregated in this space, day after day, now departing, heading for Philadelphia, Grenoble, San Marcos or Kerrville.

I knew it was temporary. Isn’t everything? But the good-bye is no easier. Tomorrow, the curtain drops. We all leave the theater.

No comments: