20 November 2006

A hawk appeared before the start of the Saturday morning class at Lake Temescal. It circled the water and later coursed the field and bordering trees. Perhaps a Northern Harrier? I know Redtails and American Kestrels and Cooper's Hawks. Adult Bald Eagles. I am familiar with harriers but not confident. I know they are here, that they like marshy areas. I remember their tendency to skim the earth. And somewhere in me is the imprint of their flight movement, the way they move their wings. But I don't know. I was distracted, not paying close attention. It could have been a juvenile bald eagle--which would be much larger. (I am very much the amateur.)

Before the Saturday afternoon class at Bernal Heights Park, there was a pair of hawks, same as the week before, with glowing burnt red undersides. Short necks, broad wings. Joyfully acrobatic flyers. Most likely Red-Shouldered Hawks I suppose. I see in the Sibley guide that California specimens are much redder than elsewhere.

In my whole life I haven't seen as many hawks as I've seen here in San Francisco in one month. Who knew? And at Bernal Heights there are different species. A number of Red-Tailed Hawks there as well, and a peregrine falcon. And I haven't even gone birding yet. Next time I'll bring binoculars and guide.

Some say it isn't important to recognize the species, to give them names. Just enjoy the co-existence. Some take identifying species to the excruciating fine points. That's why--along with shifts in range--bird guides are updated every few years. Same birds, new ID tags, new locations.

Maybe it's good practice in awareness to notice details, to recognize in how many intricate patterns the energy of life can be expressed. And maybe it's good practice to let that identifying process go, and see not Red-Shouldered Hawk, but be with its flight.

No comments: