03 November 2006

I'd get to yoga early sometimes. Upstairs, wood floor, mirrors along 2 walls, no windows. Those pilates class giant exercise balls--most recently all silver--gave the space a bit of an out-of-this-world feel. Sometimes, someone new would show up. More often than not, they'd look a little nervous. I hadn't been doing yoga all that long, but maybe because I'd turn on the floor lamp, and turn off the fluorescents, or just because I was already on a mat, they'd say something about not knowing what they were doing here, just checking it out, etc.

I'd say, if you can breathe, you can do yoga. You'll be fine.

It was that kind of class. The teacher left her ego at the door. No correct and incorrect. Different aspects are challenging for different people on different days on different sides of the body. Do whatever feels right for you today. Have your own experience.

Then, she would share from what she knew. Her physical and spiritual knowledge ran deep. And somehow, the gate to awareness of body, self, others and light was through breath. At least for me. I can't report for anyone else.

There was quite a range of experience and flexibility and confidence within the room, but she never seemed aware of that. There were many reasons a student might show up. Every student had great worth. Why would a student come if they already knew everything?

Last night, I did a little yoga on my own. Found parts of my body that said--we thought you forgot about us! When I was done, I was pleased that I had practiced. I felt relaxed. But still, something was missing.

I forgot! Breathe!

No comments: