31 January 2007

I’m studying dissociation. Yesterday, the pieces of my path puzzle fell together in a way that suggested that this might be a way to move forward. Single subject observation started first thing this morning whether I was ready or not.

I couldn’t find my keys. The clock was ticking and I’d looked everywhere three times: my purse, the pockets of the pants and jacket I wore last night, the bag that carries my gi, the counter and table where I set stuff down last night. No keys. I sat on my bed and took a breath and consciously looked around, thought about other places I hadn't considered. No keys.

I was going to be late or even miss my commitment.

I knew I was ambivalent about going. There are always reasons to go anywhere, and also reasons not to go. But I was acknowledging that in my head--did I have to hide my keys from myself to make it even harder? It felt like my brain was playing tricks on me so I wouldn’t go. But my conscious desire and intention was to go. So I was aware of all this, and still couldn’t find the keys.

I unhappily left the front door unlocked, and used a spare car key to drive instead of walk, the only way to get where I was going on time. And it was a convivial, straightforward experience.

I just returned through the unlocked front door. I walked into my room.

The keys were there, right there at my feet, in the open. Impossible not to see. I remember looking at them last night--not just a glance, but seeing how oddly one key caught light, glinting as though on fire. I deliberately left them there on the floor instead of putting them in their usual spot by the lamp. So I had actually focused on my keys--and then couldn’t find them in plain view ten hours later?

The brain keeps hidden from ourselves what the brain wants hidden. This is going to be an interesting study.

No comments: