21 February 2007

Supplies in the cabinet are running low. Still, I decided to make caponata--something I haven’t made in maybe 15 years--without olive oil or garlic or pasta or recipe. I have to say, even so, it’s very good.

1 medium large eggplant, peeled and cut into one-inch cubes
half an onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
about a quarter cup canola oil (olive, if you have it!)
1 can (10 oz) Rotel tomatoes and chiles (only tomatoes I had! Adds spark.)
2 1/2 roma tomatoes (I suppose 2 would be fine--or perhaps 3:)
about 15 medium pitted green olives, sliced into thirds
1 tablepoon or more raisins
half teaspoon dried oregano (fresh herbs would be nice!)
1/2 tsp salt (be conservative since the olives are salty)
light dusting of Chachere’s seasoning

Heat oil over medium flame in a heavy pot. Add onion, celery and eggplant. Stir frequently until softened--maybe 10-12 minutes. Stir in canned tomatoes, roma tomatoes. Bring to boil. Let simmer about half an hour or less. Stir in olives and raisins. Let simmer another 15 minutes.

Serve over fresh hot brown rice. (Or pasta, if you must. Can also be an appetizer with toasted Italian bread.)

Obviously, this is a dish you can play around with, depending on what you have on hand. I remember the official recipe for caponata being more complicated to prepare--but this came out pretty much like I remember.

No comments: