20 October 2006

So. I think maybe Portero will take me to a gas station and a place to change oil--I turn right and instead, the street becomes residential. So I try to turn around, but end up on Dewey. Still, that should circle me back to Portero. But a sign says Sunset District and I’m on Terazol. (I think I’m mangling the street names as well as where the streets go.)

My car has a mind of his own--all roads lead to the ocean. I swore I wouldn’t go today. But instead, here we are again in the simple grid of the Sunset District. I find gas. I get him an oil change and, as long as we are there, to the ocean we must go.

Maybe the car is looking out for me too--for surely every time I go, I come back refueled.

I meet a woman in flowered blouse and navy blue apron who is willing to teach me a little Cantonese. Nay-ho-ma. How ya doin?

I grab a bite at Bashful Bull.

Then on foot again across The Great Highway and:

here I am
in the sand
facing sun
white flame
racing across the furling coil of a wave
bees of light
applauding on and on into horizon
framed
by the serene gray-blue.
my words fail me
but the ocean does not.

(It is so beautiful)

1 comment:

linda said...

That's too much! All we have to do is remember our numbers and ABCs and we're good to go.
Hello to Carol!