21 October 2006

This is what I’ve experienced in 2 classes using the bo, or stick.

The stick is an extension of one’s body, not only in the sense that your range of contact is increased, that you can ‘do’ or act through the stick, but also that you can ‘sense’ or receive through the stick. You can feel the ferocity, the complexity of your partner’s emotion. There is one beginner exercise where the two partners stand face-to-face, bos crossed. They maintain a contact point between the sticks as they slowly bring them from side to side. There is a communion of light at the contact point between the sticks.

I am no warrior. But my experience in these classes makes me wonder about the intimacy between combattants.

I am also learning the formality, the etiquette of combat if observed and respected might paradoxically be a door to ending combat, to healing injury. The respect for the form leads to respect for your partner/opponent.

No comments: