06 June 2007

Nothing like a little sword work and a cup of tea to cure what ails you.

I continue to practice Shintaido 5-6 times a week early in the mornings. I’m far from any teachers, so I practice alone. It may be hard to describe what shintaido is, but it’s not hard to list some of its benefits. Though I was introduced to it a year and a half ago, I didn’t have regular access to classes until October last year. I was reasonably fit then-I practiced yoga, was an avid walker, and occasionally ran or swam. I had some problems too, foot pain and what had been diagnosed as a pinched nerve and chronic bursitis in my left shoulder. I had done physical therapy and seemed to have gotten all the benefit I could: pretty good range of motion but still sharp burning sensations down the length of my arm that would awaken me in the night.

After practicing shintaido--especially boh (staff) a couple months--it disappeared. No more nerve or shoulder pain. No limitations in range of motion. I haven’t been ill a day. Despite the occasional dark spell, my energy level has soared. I'm physically stronger than I've been in my life. I’ve met very interesting people for whom I feel passion. Shintaido has brought me strength to meet difficult situations in life—it has even given me answers I can keep in my pocket, but that still seem to bring others hope.

I’ve participated in meditations for peace, for direction in the new year, and to learn more about life and death. I can only share what I’ve learned in bits and pieces because it’s too big still to assimilate. I do feel the change in my mood, confidence and behavior communicates to others what I’ve learned, even while I’m still searching for words.

Of course shintaido is also about what you bring to it. I was taught at the very beginning don't mess with half way. Pour everything into what calls me. Go farther than all the way.

It’s been scary at times, because this physical/spiritual practice has made me more in touch with who I am. I experience things I have no words for. But it’s the fear that’s uncomfortable. What I’ve encountered has been only good and beautiful. Lonely sometimes because it’s hard to find ways to share the unusual, and it’s so big and beautiful it’s hard to hold in.

The most difficult part has been human relations. Working with people ready to embrace me from the start, people who have been so imaginatively supportive throughout: hard for me to be visible, hard to be loved. Then there's stranger comes to town and triggers interesting reactions, steps on toes, or stumbles into groups that were doing just fine before there were any strangers, thank you very much.

Yet, these are the people for whom I quickly felt passion. And these are the situations that teach me about my contributions to discord. Here we are, a varied crew together for varied reasons, but presumably all interested in enhancing peace within ourselves, our relationship with our world and beyond. When we struggle with each other, when we hang in there nonetheless, we are solving the problems of the world on a small scale. What we learn within ourselves and among ourselves about getting along is communicated to those we touch and echoes to other levels. And, of course, the more we are self aware, the less likely we create or add to strife.

This has been the most interesting year of my life. It has been mind-blowing, crushing, brilliant, lusty, exhausting, energizing, confusing, expanding and never ever boring.

I was doing cartwheels the other day. I’m 54 years old.

No comments: