09 March 2006

I haven’t read any more from Breath Sweeps Mind. Nonetheless, meditation has nudged its way into my life.

Yoga was cancelled at the last minute yesterday. By the time I got home it was dark. I went for a walk anyway, and thought I’d experiment with breathing. A walking meditation. I tried several combinations and kinds of breath before finding something that locked in--four sips through the nose inhale, flowing exhale. A nine pace plan--four paces in, five out. Around the curves, up and down the hills of Sundown Ridge.

I don’t know if it was last night’s specific beauty, or the meditative zone the breathing helped create. I know as the pattern broke toward the end of the walk, everything around me came into sharp focus.

The curving asphalt reflecting white light--the waxing moon and its shimmering ring. Clouds like scarves catching moonlight. A cottontail’s dark silhouette against the white-lit road. The junipers dark against the moonlit sky. Orion, Taurus, the Pleiades emerging. The gusty breeze creating white noise, pressing on me as I walked. A heat within me, yet my skin ice-cool to the touch.

No comments: