11 April 2006

I’m finally coming to be aware of what I have been building a fortress around. The source of my forgetfulness, the missed obligations that I have been so responsible about across the years. I did it in 2003--and here it comes again, the great joy hurt.

A child is graduating. A child, this time the last, is moving out of state to go to college.

And the oldest, who had moved back, is venturing out again. A double blow.

For me, being a mother has been the least complicated of loves. And this is just another natural stage. It’s the whole point of bearing young. I’ve watched enough birds, squirrels, deer to know this.

But it is truly a seismic shift for a human mother. Physical separation after so many years of natural intimacy.

Children brave enough to venture forth. Parents loving enough to gradually let go.

Pardon me, though, if I am a little confused in the process.

No comments: