09 March 2007

Day 5
March 6
Moriarty, New Mexico to Kerrville, Texas

I missed the exit off I-40 on to 285, started to go with the mistake, just calculate a new route. Alternatives, though, looked challenging and unappealing. So I turned around, backtracked.

Most of the ten and a half hours on the road were spent driving through flat, arid, unpeopled land. Attractive in its simplicity, but not as entertaining as the grand vistas of the previous days.

I saw a sign outside Encino, New Mexico that read : Gusty Winds May Exist.

I invented breathing games with telephone poles. Flying downhill on the interstate after dark, I practiced one-handed tenshingoso, the other hand on the steering wheel. I tried eiko dai following an 18-wheeler.

Hey, I got to my destination. I’m in Texas hill country in my friends’ new house.

No comments: