09 March 2007

Day 6
March 7
Rest Stop in Kerrville Texas

Friends have warmly welcomed me to their new ten acres of hill country: cacti and fox dens and flycatchers and limestone marked by yellow lichen circles--

In a Kerrville owner-run bookstore, I saw a Kandinsky poster, primarily in yellow, for a 1977 exhibit. I walked over to look at it, and beneath the poster was an old library-style table with a used and worn book on display: Japanese Prints from the Early Masters to the Modern, by James A. Michener. I picked up the book, and it fell open, showing Hiroshige’s Wild Geese in Flight. I looked at it for a long time. On the same pages, I later noticed Plovers in Flight and Moon through Leaves.

I thumbed back and it opened to Hokusai’s The Poet Li Po Admiring a Waterfall. Across from it was Traveler in the Snow.

No comments: